Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Photo Board

I don't know about you, but I feel like my in-laws are the hardest people to shop for. Not because they are picky, but because a) if they want something, they probably already have it, b) they already know of all of the super cool stuff, and probably already have it, and c) they are just so dang cool, you want to get them something super fantastic awesome that they don't have yet.

Enter: the homemade gift. My mother in law loves handmade things, and I like giving them to her because she knows how much effort goes into them, and is always so appreciative. For Christmas, I scoured the interwebs to find a mind-blowing gift. I found this. I thought it was such a great idea! Grandmas love photos, and need a place to store them right? For that kind of money though, I knew I could replicate it for way cheaper, and way better.

I feel selfish, but I don't even want to tell you how simple this is.

No really, I don't.

Because it's way too simple.

I went to the Habitat for Humanity store and picked up a cabinet door. I painted it (or stained it, in this case), distressed it, added some moulding to hold the pictures. Done.


Do you want to hear the sad part of this story now?

I couldn't give it to my mother-in-law.

Because it wouldn't fit in my luggage.

So I made another one for her that did fit in my luggage. But it did not turn out nearly as cute. And I was way bummed.

Fortunately, her birthday is coming up in April, and I've already got something in the works!

No comments: