Monday, March 7, 2011

The Lower Lights


Mormons are known for Mo-tab, not for rocking it out (I wouldn't call Donnie Osmond Rock and Roll...). I was nervous walking into the warehouse behind a Paul Mitchell hair school. Nervous because I haven't ever been to a foot tapping spiritual revival. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of my 4 year old and husband. I love The Lower Lights, though, and was willing to risk humiliation for the sake of a good time.

I'm so glad we went. I'm so glad we went as a family. We walked into an intimate little atmosphere, like a backyard bbq. Cade mentioned that he wanted some of the lights they had set up for our own backyard. I could see kids running up and down the aisles, friends gathering together, and an anticipation of seeing something fun and unique and heartwarming. Locke was fascinated by the instruments, and also his bugars.

I think Cade was a little skeptical. I mean, I'd bought the album a few months ago, excited at a churchy album that was fresh. He hadn't listened to it a ton, but liked a few of the songs. Once the artists came on stage though, he was hooked, and couldn't stop recording. I'm glad he didn't, because they played songs I'd never heard before, and certainly want to hear again.

Cade and I discussed our feelings about the experience on the way home. I see why the bible belt loves their music, and loves their Hallelujiahs and Amens. Because I wanted to get up and wave my arms and physically work my body in the joy that I felt from hearing this wonderful music praising my savior. I thought it was appropriate that it was fast Sunday, a day that we share our testimonies. This was testimony in song, and I could feel the spirit of these artists singing their testimonies and their love for our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I felt tingles on my arms as I held my little boy on my lap and rocked back and forth to "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today".

The overwhelming theme of this group is light. One of the members shared the story of the Lower Lights, as told by D.L. Moody.

"A few years ago, at the mouth of Cleveland harbor, there were two lights, one at each side of the bay, called the upper and lower lights; and to enter the harbor safely by night, vessels must sight both of the lights.

These western lakes are more dangerous sometimes than the great ocean. One wild, stormy night, a steamer was trying to make her way into the harbor. The captain and pilot were anxiously watching for the lights.

By-and-by the pilot was heard to say, "Do you see the lower light?" "No," was the reply; "I fear we have passed them." "Ah, there are the lights," said the pilot; "and they must be, from the bluff on which they stand, the upper lights. We have passed the lower lights, and have lost our chance of getting into the harbor." What was to be done? They looked back, and saw the dim outline of the lower lighthouse against the sky. The lights had gone out. "Can't you turn your head around?" "No; the night is too wild for that. She won't answer to her helm." The storm was so fearful that they could do nothing.

They tried again to make for the harbor, but they went crash against the rocks, and sank to the bottom. Very few escaped; the great majority found a watery grave. Why? Simply because the lower lights had gone out. Now, with us the upper lights are all right. Christ Himself is the upper light, and we are the lower lights, and the cry to us is, keep the lower lights burning; that is what we have to do. He will lead us safe to the sunlit shore of Canaan, where there is no more night."

This touched me. We are the lower lights, that reach out to our brothers and sisters and show for Christ. The group expressed their sincere gratitude for how many of us showed up, and said that they hoped we felt the love that they had and the message they shared. Their message is the message of light, and of Jesus Christ. As I listened to "This Little Light of Mine", "There is Sunshine In My Soul Today", "Let the Lower Lights be Burning", "Be Thou My Vision", "Tis Sweet to Trust in Jesus" and all the other hymns they sang, my heart was full of light. I wanted to share this light. I regret not inviting all my friends, heck, everyone I knew. It inspired me to carry that light with me, and keep the Lower Lights burning.

I'll remember this night for a very long time. I hope I remember that sweet feeling of the spirit, giving me comfort and testifying to the truth of the words these artists sang. All saying, Life is good, Jesus is good, try to be like Jesus.



The last song they sang was "Little Orphan Girl".



A perfect way to end the evening, reminding me that I am not an orphan girl. I am not in this alone. I have a family, friends, and a Heavenly Father looking out over me.

My faith renewed, my spirit restored, I truly hope that each and every one of you get to see this group, and have an experience such as this. If you get a chance to see them, do it. It'll be just like a campfire testimony meeting, only with better music, no crying, and some toe tapping.

www.thelowerlights.com



No comments: