Saturday, September 19, 2009

Strawberry Cupcakes

I picked up this recipe for cupcakes when a friend of mine had a baby and we wanted to take her a treat. How do you justify bringing cupcakes to a new mom of a baby? Well, I don't think it needs any justification at all! I've since used these for get togethers and most recently our birthday party. I had a package of strawberries sitting in the fridge and felt the urge to have this summertime treat one more time before fall rolls in.

Whatcha need:
1 box vanilla cake mix (any kind, I prefer the cheap stuff though)
Fresh Strawberries
Frosting of choice

Simple, right? I feel like this is more of a craft than a recipe. I mean, it's more of an assembly process than a cooking one.

First, cook your cuppy cakes. I neglected to pick up cupcake wrappers, so mine are nekked.
Next, hollow out the cupcake by cutting a cone shape out of the top with a paring knife. Think about it, you're stuffing a strawberry in there, so you're trying to make it in the shape of a strawberry. I know, I feel stupid explaining this to you. It's really not that complicated. Oh yeah. Feel free to eat the innards.
Next, put a strawberry in there. Yep. Just slide it right in. Of course, you want to cut the top of the strawberry off first. You can play the "matching" game, by matching the bigger strawberries with the bigger cupcakes,etc. It should fit snug. If it doesn't fit all the way, give it a little push. Cupcakes are squishy. It will make room for the strawberry goodness. I've also been known to trim the strawberry top to fit flush with the cupcake. I feel really silly saying this. It's not rocket science. I promise.
Next, add frosting of your choice. I use a cream cheese/buttercream frosting. (In truth, Cade made the frosting for this one while I was out burning off all of the cupcake innards I ate. Yeah. There were a lot of calories in the middle of those suckers). Simplest way to frost these. Ever. Put the frosting in a zippy bag, cut a tip off, and use it like a piping bag in a swirl to cover the strawberry, and make it look purty.



Nice right?

Oh, but it gets better. Much better.

That's the middle of your cupcake. I searched the food network website to find this "recipe", so I could give credit where credit's due, but I guess Sandra Lee had to make room for things like her Kwanzaa Cake. You missed out on a good one Sandra. But I'm getting the last laugh. Or bite. Or whatever. It's tasty, and you should make them!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

you know I adore these! SOOO yummmm...

Nancy said...

Wow! These look so yummy! I will have to try them.